Monday, December 31, 2007

It's New Year's Eve?

It's 8:48pm and I'm finishing my shrimp and broccoli at my desk from my favorite nearby Chinese place, which is closing its doors tonight. So sad. Sadder still, I suppose, that I'm sitting here at work on New Year's Eve. Perhaps, not. Those December 31st celebrations almost always seem to end up a dud.

For our 10pm news, I'm doing a "live shot" at the Bill and Hillary Clinton for their "New Year, New Beginnings Celebration" at Capitol Square in downtown Des Moines. Neither has a good track record of campaign punctuality. I hope they arrive BEFORE our 10pm news. The campaign has already today blamed snow for canceling an event in Waterloo and "aircraft issues" for downing a stop in Ottumwa. We'll see if Des Moines has better luck.
We'll also have to check on the spirits. The Des Moines Register just released its latest poll. Obama's party in Ames may be drinking the Kool-Aid a little more.

Updated: 1047pm. Hillary, Bill and Chelsea Clinton took the stage about 10am along with former Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack and his wife, Christie, and former Democratic National Committee Chair Terry McAuliffe. I'd guess 4-500 people surrounded them, although it was tough to estimate. McAuliffe started and introduced the rest. The former Prez talked, then the Senator. About seven minutes later, they said good-night. They left the stage. Most of the crowd left. So did we.

No comments: