Sunday, August 17, 2008

Olympics...


Random thoughts while I watch the Olympics...

Are there really any people who are actually disappointed that Shawn Johnson has now won three silver medals and no golds? Are you being just a bit greedy?

Why are some of the Chinese athletes are getting scores that seem way too high? Let's not even mention the fact those athletes may not even be old enough to compete.

That Jamaican guy, Usain Bolt, who won the 100 meter dash is way too annoying. And his arrogant showboating cost him a better finish. Of course, he still set a record. But he's still annoying.

I think this IS the year for the Chicago Cubs. They'll probably still choke away the World Series. But I think they'll at least get there. As a St. Louis Cardinals' fan, that really stings. I'm quickly losing confidence the Cards will even make the playoffs. Not that I had a ton of confidence to start.

I never tried that fried pineapple on a stick at the Iowa State Fair. I wanted to, I think. I just didn't think eating a whole one by myself would leave me feeling all that good. Oh, well.

We were tempted to go check out Def Leppard at the fair. Paying 100 bucks for our tickets in seats that didn't seem to offer much of a view....well, that just bites.

How many times does our competitor call itself "Iowa's News Leader" in a day's time. Don't people get sick of that?

Looks like a huge day for the Iowa Speedway on Tuesday. Remember those reports that this project would never get built in the first place. Newton deserves this. Now can the city pull this off? Here's part of the release after the cat's already been let out of the bag (where the hell did that saying ever come from anyway? Who put the cat IN the bag?)

Iowa Speedway will hold a news conference at 10:00am Tuesday, August 19, 2008, in the Newton Club. Topic: An announcement regarding the 2009 racing season at Iowa Speedway.

My wife and I had a rare day off together Saturday, so we tried the Greater Des Moines Restaurant Week. 33 restaurants offered lunch for 2 for $20.08 or one dinner for $20.08. If you save your receipt, you could win a trip to Puerto Rico. Actually, you had to save four receipts. Quite a busy week of eating I'd say. One reminder...some, if not all, of the restaurants, limit your choices. In fact, you may have just one menu choice to get the $20.08 price. It still may be good. Ours at Torocco! Italian Grill in Urbandale was. I wish we could have had a few more options, though.

All this talk about food makes me hungry. Time for a late-night snack.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHO could it have been that over hyped Iowa's GOLDEN Girl these last few months thereby raising Iowans expectations? I'll give you 13 guesses.

Anonymous said...

That's some pretty clever writing. Fortunately, no one in the national media gave her any publicity.