Friday, July 03, 2009

Fong's Campaign Clarifies Paperwork Question

Iowa Republican Gubernatorial Candidate Christian Fong's campaign sent me a message to try to clear up any confusion about the "paperwork question". During my Internet radio show "Purple Matters" Thursday, I asked Fong about his Twitter comment that he had "filed" to run for governor. I asked whether he meant he had just filed to form the exploratory committee (where you file with the Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board), so he could raise the money needed for a campaign. But he said he filed for governor. It's my understanding a candidate does this with the Iowa Secretary of State's office. But the office told me a person can't file until next March. Here's my original blog post on this and the full interview with Fong.

Today, Fong's campaign sent me a message to clarify. A spokesman said Fong meant that he had filed the paperwork with the Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board to raise money, not that he filed the paperwork to run for governor with the sec. of state.

There you go.

No comments: