Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Away From the Floods

When I first arrived in Tampa, Florida Monday, rain was pending. I was complaining. No excuses for my complaints. I've been trying to keep track of the flooding in central Iowa via the internet. I can't believe how bad it is getting. To read that some are saying this flood will be worse than 1993. I just can't believe it. We shouldn't have ever seen those levels again.

I worked in radio in St. Louis during that flood. At the time, I was a writer for KMOX, the dominant radio station in the area. Because of the flood, the union gave me an exemption, so I could work "on-air" (since I wasn't a union member, normally I couldn't appear on the air). I did "KMOX Floodcenter Updates" at five minutes before the top of the hour. I also did some reporting. I never expected to again see the flooding I saw then. Floodaters took over small towns like Grafton, Illinois. They also closed in on the St. Louis Arch on the riverfront. Those are memories I don't think I'll ever forget.

I definitely have no business complaining here in Florida. None at all.

No comments: