Saturday, August 27, 2011

Pataki Not for President

Pa-What The...?--I admit I went home a few days to Illinois for my niece's 1st birthday (Happy B-Day, Maddie!) and I'm just getting back. But what did I miss? When I left town Wednesday morning, former New York Governor George Pataki was running for president. The Polk County Republican Party expected a "major announcement" from Pataki during his appearance at the group's summer picnic at the Iowa State Fairgrounds. But all of a sudden the "major announcement" came before the picnic: Pataki isn't running for prez after all.

And people said his campaign 4 years ago was a short one. This one ended before it officially started. Here is the release I had waiting in my inbox:

Former New York Governor George Pataki Bows Out

Polk County GOP Picnic Sets Record Ticket Sales for Saturday Event

DES MOINES, IA: In overnight developments, former New York Governor George Pataki has informed Polk County (IA) Republican officials he will not be making an appearance at the Polk GOP Picnic on Saturday August 27.

The former three-term Governor from New York has also issued the following statement regarding weeks of speculation about a run for the Presidency(excerpted):

"Today, my family and I have reached the very difficult decision not to seek the office of President of the United States... While I have chosen not to run, I remain committed to the cause and will support a candidate who offers the vision, the ideas and the leadership to bring an end to America's debt crisis."

Polk County GOP Chairman Kevin McLaughlin said, "We regret that Governor Pataki has decided to forgo an Iowa appearance with Texas Governor Rick Perry, U.S. Congressman Ron Paul and U.S. Congressman Thaddeus McCotter, but we are still nearly sold out for Saturday's Picnic." You can still get tickets at 515-280-6438 or by emailing dkearney@polkgop.com. Tickets are $25 per person, students are $10. The event starts at the famed Jalapeno Pete's venue at 5 p.m.
Ron Paul's supporters have been complaining that he hasn't received his fair share of attention since he finished a close second in the Republican Party of Iowa's Straw Poll 2 weeks ago. With Pataki and that "major announcement" not getting in the way, we will see what kind of news Paul can make.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
desmoinesdem said...

How he could ever have considered himself a viable candidate is beyond me.

Trivia question: what do Pataki and Bachmann have in common? Answer at the end of this post.