Behind So Far: Halfway through his first year after returning to the governor’s office, Republican Terry Branstad is falling behind the pace he would need to create 200,000 jobs over the next 5 years to fulfill his often-repeated campaign pledge. Looking back at data from the Iowa Workforce Development covering Branstad’s first 6 months of employment reports (covering January through July), the state has added 14,400 non-farm jobs. Branstad would need the state to create 20,000 jobs over the time period to keep pace with the goal of his campaign pledge. Brandstad admitted, “We have a long ways to go. But I tell you we've hit the ground running and we're working very hard on it."
Tuesday morning, Branstad begins a 3 day, 14 city stop of cafes, community centers and businesses his office calls a “Jobs Tour”. Branstad said the tour gives him a chance to talk with Iowa businesses to find out what they need to expand the workforce, including removing regulations and restrictions that hinder job development. Branstad said, “The lieutenant governor and I will work to make economic development and jobs in Iowa our top priority."
Brian McCollum, of Des Moines, has been out of work since losing his job in January. He hopes to find work as a project manager and relies on job boards and networking to expand his chances. He isn’t counting on the governor’s tour to bring him a job. He said, “I think they have to be seen and heard. But at the same time, I have to think to myself, what's in it for me as the individual? What am I going to get out of this? I hate to be self-centered about this but how is this going to benefit me?”
McCollum isn’t discounting any politician’s efforts to seek a better business climate. But he won’t wait for government to bring a job to him. He said, “If I'm waiting for that, I'm going to be waiting a very, very long time. No. You've got to be proactive in what you're doing."
McCollum is already a little too familiar with life without a job. His wife lost her job 2 years ago. But he said she was fortunate to find a new one 4 months later, which gives him both hope and counsel as he goes through the process.
McCollum never misses a chance to network. He tries to make the most of his "down time" by organizing speakers for the Unemployed in Des Moines group that meets at Smokey Row in Des Moines. He also helps schedule and referee youth soccer.
He sent along his resume, which he hopes will help lead him to work as a project manager.
Brian E. McCollum
Seeking an opportunity in Project Management as a Project Coordinator, Project Manager One, or Business Analyst.
• Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
• 7 years of experience in a Project Management delivery environment
• Client based relationship management to meet project, stakeholder, and customer needs
• First and second tier interaction and support with external and internal IT staff resources
• Proven ability to foster and build professional relationships
• Client base included Insurance and Financial Services industries
Summary of Qualifications
15 years of experience in managing project activities in the Information Management, Printing and Publishing industries.
Regulus Group / 3i Infotech May 2003 to December 2010
Project Coordinator/ Account Specialist
Primary point of contact for day to day client support in a document processing and statement printing industry. Relative experience.
• Supported Project Management in Client Project Integration. Worked with Regulus clients day-to-day that offered insight and knowledge to Project Management for operations, processing applications, business rules, testing, tracking, and closure. Worked as Project Manager for smaller projects, providing estimates for cost, change control , tracking and scheduling, budgeted cost, communication, regular status updates with clients, and project close.
• Recognized for leading effective management of day-to day business operations in the
absence of Relationship Management and Project Management.
• Partnered with clients to create agendas and criteria for client update calls, co- lead with Relationship Management to create and define short and long term objectives for future planning .
• Provided efficient administrative execution and communication of client and Regulus objectives to internal customers. Analyzed business processes and implemented improvements that positively impacted the customer experience and Regulus initiatives
• John Deere contract renewal- Collaborating with the Regulus Management team in the negotiation of their 10 year old contract. Provided analysis of existing and related new services to the management team. Included in the analysis was input on
the value and methods to eliminate long term data retention. This retention reduced
cost to the customer for reprinting of statements and enhanced data security.
Xerox-Midwest Document Systems July 2001-May 2003
Midwest Document Systems was a Premier Plus Xerox Sales Agency. Responsibilities for this agency included selling digital print solutions, color applications, software, and Analyst services business to business.
RR Donnelley & Sons May 2000 to May 2001
A Fortune 500 magazine and publications printer working with Meredith Publishing and its flagship publication Better Homes & Garden. Interacted and communicated with both external and internal customers working in a team environment to help develop alternate and more economical manufacturing plans. Also helped with cost control, quality issues, and insured contract standards.
Certified Associate in Project Management Project Management Institute
Project Management Basics Des Moines Area Community College
Project Management Exam Prep Des Moines Area Community College
A.A. Degree Des Moines Area Community College
Mailing Specialist Program United States Postal Service
Xerox Sales Training Leesburg Virginia
President (current) & Vice President (2010) Mid-Iowa Soccer Officials Association (MISOA). MISOA represents 150 plus Soccer Officials in Central Iowa at the High School, College, Adult, Competitive, and Club levels.
Program Coordinator- Unemployed in Des Moines
Works with the Event Coordinator for this local networking group to ensure presentations and guest speakers are arranged for meetings.