Thursday, April 28, 2011

Tornadoes, Charlie Sheen Meets Cardinals

Silent Sequel: It's day 2 of my near-silent voice. It really stinks not being able to talk. This had better change soon! I'm just captivated, in a horribly sad way, of this tornado coverage from the south. I used to live in Alabama for about 1 1/2 years when I worked at a tv station in Montgomery. So I'm fairly familiar with some of the areas that were devastated by the tornadoes. To think more than 200 people have died in the region is mind-boggling. I remember covering a path of tornadoes in November, 1998, when I worked in Columbia, Missouri. We loaded up with our satellite truck and headed west following a big storm (it seemed like a big story, but pales in comparison to what hit the southeast). We started in Columbia. Then we re-traced the tornadoes' paths going backwards from Columbia to Kansas to Oklahoma City. It was about three days of some of the worst damage I have ever seen. I vividly remember standing in a destroyed neighborhood in Oklahoma City and looking out. There were nothing but piles of splintered homes and trees and shattered lives. It was overpowering. And sad.

Our sister station in Huntsville is streaming live coverage of Wednesday's damage, rescue efforts and recovery. You can watch it here.

More Disaster Coverage: Charlie Sheen is his own disaster. Forgive me if sharing this post between all the destruction and Sheen seems a bit insensitive. I don't intend it to be. Some of the St. Louis Cardinals got to meet Sheen during their current road trip to Houston. Apparently, Sheen took his road show there. Who cares.

No comments: