Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thank You

In the middle of this Great Recession, I feel special need to pause to say "thanks" for all of my blessings in life and all the other things that deserve my appreciation.

So I'm thankful for:

My mother-in-law's turkey, followed by pork loin, sweet potatoes, apple walnut stuffing, apple pie...man, I ate a lot.

Getting to spend time with my two little nephews, Mac and Ian (along with Emily's mom, dad, brother, and sister-in-law for the holidays and getting to see the Prices for Christmas).

My job.

Bosses that let me help try to keep politicians accountable to the people they represent.

Public servants who don't try to hide information from the public.

Elected officials who are confident enough in their abilities to communicate to the media the reasons behind their decisions and staffs that let them talk to the media.

The most talented photographers who help me share our stories on tv with you.

The fact I married my best friend.

How Iowans make this feel like home, even though I grew up in another state.

All of you friends who watch my stories, read my observations and share your thoughts to make my job the best I could ever ask. Thanks to all of you.

Finally to my Aunt Pris. Growing up, she always made pies at holidays. Emily's family came to town this year, so I didn't make it back for Aunt Pris' pies back in Illinois. But she shared the recipe of one of my all-time favorite pies!

Here it is...

She told me "Kentucky Derby Pie" is copyrighted. So she just calls this "Derby Pie". Enjoy and happy Thanksgiving!


1 unbaked 9 in. pie crust
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour
2 eggs slightly beaten
1/2 c. butter (melted and slightly cooled)
1 c. broken pecans
1 pkg (6oz.) chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. bourbon
Whipped cream (I use Cool Whip)

Mix together sugar & flour. Add eggs, butter, pecans, choc. chips (don't melt), vanilla and bourbon. Pour into pie crust and bake for 1 hour @325 degrees. Serve with whipped cream if desired.

another recipe call for 1/2 - 1 c. flaked coconut. I've done it both ways.

No comments: