Friday, February 08, 2008

Wise Move


WISE TO RETIRE FROM THE IOWA HOUSE

Keokuk, Iowa -- State Representative Phil Wise (D-Keokuk), one of the two most senior members of the Iowa House of Representatives, announced today that he will retire from the Iowa House at the end of his term this year. Wise is currently serving his twenty-second year in the General Assembly.
"The voters of Southeast Iowa have honored me by electing me eleven times to represent them in the Iowa House of Representatives," said Wise. "Choosing to retire from elective office at the end of this year was one of the most difficult decisions I have ever made. I am comfortable, however, with that decision."

Wise was first elected in 1986 and has served eleven consecutive terms. He has focused on education and economic development issues during his tenure. He retired from teaching almost five years ago after 34 years in the classroom.
"Representative Wise has served the people of Iowa and his district with honor and distinction over the last 22 years. His expertise on issues from education to jobs to taxes will be missed in the Iowa House," said House Speaker Pat Murphy, D-Dubuque.

"My wife and I are looking forward to moving on to the next phase of our life together," said Wise. "Just because I am retiring from elective office does not mean I am retiring from work on matters of public policy. It just means I am retiring from politics."

"We wish Rep. Wise all the best as he starts the next phase of his life. While we wish he were returning to the House, House District 92 is one of the top Democratic districts in the state and we will work with Rep. Wise to ensure a Democrat wins the seat in November," said House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, D-Des Moines.

No comments: