Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Farewell to Fred


(Image courtesy: chrisbishop.com)

"Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for President of the United States. I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people."

--Fred Thompson, 1/22/08


(Image courtesy: wardsmythe.com/category/republicans)

Remember how people were waiting and waiting (o.k., maybe it was mostly just the media waiting) for Fred Thompson to finally come to Des Moines to say he was running for President? And then he came here for that much-awaited announcement last September at the Polk County Convention Complex. Was there anyone who thought his speech that day blew you away? The only real noise I remember from the crowd that day came from his staffers gathered near the stage. Well, there was one bit of excitement that I recall. That happened when a woman passed out in the back of the room.

On the campaign trail, Thompson hardly seemed to impress the masses. I remember the appearance in Marshalltown when Thompson finished his stump speech and then had to ask the crowd to applaud for him. I had never seen such a thing. And still haven't seen anything like that again.

Is it only fitting that with all the recent anticipation that he would drop out of the race because of his lackluster performances so far he would make his big announcement...with a short news release. No public appearance. No thank yous for all the people who devoted their lives to helping his failed cause. Just an email. Too bad Jack McCoy already took his old job.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fred, we hardly knew ya!